Google's Gmail April Fools' Joke Backfires Big Time


An April Fools' Day prank by Google has returned to bite them in the arse.
On the strike of midnight in Australia, the company introduced 'Gmail Mic Drop', a unique spin on the send button which adds a Minion mic-dropping gif to the end of your email. If you're lucky enough to not know what a Minion is, they're the little yellow things from Despicable Me.
Cool. Moving on. "Everyone will get your message, but that's the last you'll ever hear about it," Google announced in a blogpost. "Yes, even if folks try to respond, you won't see it."


Unlike most companies, who announce something on April Fools' without following up on it, Google actually went ahead and implemented the product.
They placed the mic-drop option on every user's compose window, making it very easy to be clicked accidentally.

One man posted his experience on the company's Gmail help forum:
"Thanks to Mic Drop I just lost my job. I am a writer and had a deadline to meet. I sent my articles to my boss and never heard back from her. I inadvertently sent the email using the 'Mic Drop' send button.There were corrections that needed to be made on my articles and I never received her replies. My boss took offence to the Mic Drop animation and assumed that I didn't reply to her because I thought her input was petty (hence the Mic Drop). I just woke up to a very angry voicemail from her which is how I found out about this 'hilarious' prank."
And that wasn't the only one. Another user wrote: "I sent out an important email to 30 recipients and I inadvertently clicked the 'Mic Drop' Send. I completely did not mean to, and I realised what had happened after the fact. I tried to resend it without that, but it was too late. Is there any way I can undo my mic drop feature?"

A third user wrote: "Unfortunately some of my very intelligent friends are senior engineers in Google. I almost picked up the phone and shouted at them because of this stupid creation made me sound so rude to one important customer when I made a mistake to click this stupid button."
Google has since pulled the feature.
This whole story is probably an April Fools' joke in itself. A cruel double-bluff, enacted by one of the biggest tech companies in the world, to make us forget what's real.
Is this real? Are the lost jobs real? Am I real?

No comments:

Post a Comment